Monday, March 19, 2007

Just don't vomit on the keyboard, please...

This series of essays from Esquire magazine written by a writer at various stages of drunkenness seemed timely given inebriated Firecracker George and his alcohol-induced post from this weekend.

A truly satisfactory answer demands equal measures of hard science and hard liquor. My editor and I devised a protocol in which he would supply me with a series of essay topics. The first would come while I was sober, with others to follow at ninety-minute intervals as I began to sip steadily from a bottle of Johnnie Walker. Self-administered breath tests would track my progress and verify--if the text somehow didn't--that the whisky was having an effect. As it turned out . . . well, you'll see.
Maybe we should all do this experiment one of these days on this blog. I feel somewhat uninhibited to write what I think, and that's when I'm sober. I can't imagine what a few rounds of bourbon would do to my posts.

No comments: