Thursday, November 2, 2006

Web 2.0 Fever Infects the Government

I'm not exactly sure if I think this is a brilliant idea or a complete disaster in the making. Apparently, the U.S. intelligence community has unveiled Intellipedia, their own internal version of a Wikipedia. The idea seems to have it's merits, but it also seems like it could easily be soiled by misinformation.

Whatever happened to real research? I like Wikipedia as much as the next guy to look up information fast and to get a skeleton undertstanding of random things, but I certainly wouldn't cite it as a source of information when I'm writing a manuscript to submit to a scientific journal. Actually it kind of scares me that some low ranking CIA analyst will be slapping together a report based on this.

Hopefully, we won't be heading in to invade North Korea based on intelligence gleaned from a Wiki. Then again, we're in Iraq right now. How can the intelligence get any worse?

No comments: