Monday, November 6, 2006

I just when I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in...


Somehow, I seemed to have entered the Twilight Zone Saturday night, and forgot the Horns were playing until the game was well over. Perhaps I wasn't ready to see another fiasco like the Texas Tech game last week. Who knows. Based on what I've read, though, I'm feeling pretty bummed that I didn't get to see what sounds like a phenomenal surgical strike leashed upon the Oklahoma State Cowboys. To say I was shocked that this was such a one-sided victory is an understatement. Only 123 passing yards by OSU? Did the Texas secondary really step up, or did Bobby Reid just buckle under the pressure?

At the pace he's going, I wouldn't be surprised if Colt McCoy breaks every record at UT before he even gets to his junior year. This guy is certainly putting a new spin on the word overachiever. 69% completion rate. 27 touchdowns. Only 4 interceptions. QB rating of 172.1. If he wasn't putting on such phenomenal performances this late in the year, I'd be tempted to say those numbers were skewed by the pushover teams the Horns faced early in the season. Let's just hope this learning curve doesn't decide to peak any time soon.

I'd pretty much given up hope that Texas could crawl back up the BCS standings to get to Glendale. But things seem to be falling into place that just might make that a realistic ending, assuming UT wins out and wins out big. I can easily see Louisville dropping a game to Rutgers or Pitt. Michigan loses to Ohio State, Texas jumps to #2 on the BCS, and it's a rematch against the Buckeyes in Arizona.

Anywho, ESPN's take on the Oklahoma State game:

It was over when... Texas quarterback Colt McCoy fired a pair of touchdowns in a span of 51 seconds, sandwiched around a Cowboy fumble on a kickoff.
Gameball goes to... McCoy. The freshman QB threw for three touchdowns and a career-high 346 yards on 23-of-29 passing.
Stat of the game... 27. McCoy broke the school record for touchdown passes with 27, passing Vince Young (2005) and Chris Simms (2002).

No comments: