Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The horror...


What a way to end a season. I had a glimmer of hope that perhaps the Horns might get a shot at defending their national championship at the beginning of this season, but in reality we all sort of knew that wasn't a realistic outcome. But who would have thought Texas would have collapsed so dramatically at the finish? The Kansas State loss was painful. Losing to the Aggies, though, really hurts. And in Austin, no less.

I honestly didn't get a chance to watch the game. I guess I'm glad I was able to enjoy my Friday with my folks rather than suffer through the agony of what sounded like a very frustrating four quarters of football. It amazes me after complaining all year about the pass defense, it was the Aggie rush that ended up being what beat Texas.

At this point, I really don't care what bowl game Texas goes to. These last two losses have really been deflating. I think I'll just reset, and wait for next year. In the interim, let's hope:

  1. Colt McCoy's "pinched nerves" aren't permanent, and he gets back on that ever increasing learning curve he was on before the K-State game.
  2. Jamaal Charles learns how to hold on to a football.
  3. They give up on this crazy notion that Henry Melton can actually do anything with the ball on these short yardage situations.
  4. The defensive secondary steps up and develops some skills in the off-season to play with consistency.
  5. There's a big shakeup in the coaching staff, because the game plans on both sides of the ball were pretty one dimensional all year long.
  6. Someone amongst the senior class of players takes this team by the horns, and leads.
ESPN's take:
It was over when... Texas quarterback Colt McCoy was intercepted at midfield by Mark Dodge with just over a minute left in the game.
Gameball goes to... Stephen McGee. The Texas A&M quarterback rushed for 95 yards, eight of them coming on the game-winning score.
Stat of the game... 244. The Aggies rushed for 244 yards against Texas, which came into the game No. 1 in the nation allowing 42 yards per game.

No comments: