Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Is it bad when you enjoy the opening act more than the main attraction?

So Monday, the wife and I went to The Pageant to see a sold out Death Cab For Cutie performance. The show started out kind of slow. Perhaps it was because I'm not familiar with all their tunes or maybe I was a bit grossed out by Ben Gibbard's incessant need to spit every two minutes or distracted by his total lack of serious dance moves even though he looked like he was really trying, but regardless, I found myself yawning about 10 minutes in. Luckily, things picked up and I was yelling (in a good way) by the end. Things crashed to Earth again, though, during the encore when Gibbard came out to sing "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" which normally is a very pretty tune, except that an obnoxious fat chick from the bar area decided she needed to show the audience that she was a huge fan (in more ways than one) by belting out the song in that grating, drunken, way off-tune kind of way.

The real surprise of the night for me, though, was the opening act, OK Go. Prior to this night, all I really knew about them was that they did that treadmill video and that Wander has been listening to them for awhile. Coming to The Pageant that night, neither my wife or I were really up for a concert, and we got there right at the start time of 8:00 pm rather than coming in an hour early like we normally do. I was feeling kind of old, because I actually got the feeling that I was concerted-out. Standing around in smoky music halls, squeezing in between smelly people, coming out with my ears ringing...I really was contemplating an extended hiatus from live music. Thankfully, OK Go quickly cured me out of my stupor. They were awesome! Maybe that was why I was bored by Death Cab For Cutie when they finally came on--I think I just wanted to hear more OK Go. Even my wife got a kick out of OK Go's mini-encore dance routine of "A Million Ways" (see below) that reminded her of her cheerleading days, so much so I think she started breaking out in hushed cheerleading moves right in front of me.

Snow Patrol comes to town in April, and OK Go is scheduled to open for them, as well. I can't wait...

No comments: