Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Lotus fantasies never end...

Coming soon from the engineers across the pond in England is the latest example of pure driving excitement from Lotus.  The 2-Eleven is completely built for a track.  No air conditioning, no stereo--it doesn't even have a windshield.  All of this saves insane amounts of weight making it only 1,477 pounds and gives it a 0-60 mph time of 3.8 seconds using a tiny 1.8 liter engine.  This is like a go-kart on steroids!  


As I was reading about this car on Wired magazine's website, I followed the links to the official Lotus website, which has been heavily updated since I last perused it a few months ago.  I was a bit surprised that they don't make the Lotus Espirit anymore, with or without submarine capabilities.  

Anywho, I want the Kool-Aid Gang to promise me that if any of you stumble across all sorts of disposable income, you will take us all to the Lotus Performance Driving School.  I'd suggest we all meet up there sometime soon, but the course costs $995 for only a one day program--not the sort of cash I've got lying around.  Ah well.  More to dream about, I guess.  I recall Fandango and I briefly playing around with the idea of making a trip out to Germany, renting out a couple of Porsches, and going nuts on the Autobahn.  Maybe that's a more realistic endeavor.  Who's in?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be the first to say that I will hook us up with the driving school if I stumble across all sorts of money.

Any idea on the name 2-11. Reminds me of a cheap imitation of a 7-11. Still a good looking car though.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I just checked out the school, and I have a couple of thoughts. First, it is in Nevada which I think would be cheaper than going to Europe (plus the falling dollar wouldn't help much once there). Second, Day 2 looks freakin awesome. Finally, everything is sold out.

Swany said...

Lotus used to number their models sequentially, e.g. their first car was the Mark 1, their second the Mark 2, etc. At some point, they just started calling them by the number alone, so there actually was a Lotus Eleven back in the day. I assume the 2-Eleven is an homage to those days, like this is the second generation of the Eleven. That, or it weighs 2/9 of a Porsche 911. ;-)

Nevada would be cheaper, but I think the German Alps would be much more scenic. Plus, there's always the opportunity to pull over for a quality beer along the route.

Anonymous said...

Are you condoning drinking and driving?