Monday, February 11, 2008

"I've Got Mouths to Feed" ...


This is how I remember the quote from former NBA player Latrell Sprewell a few years back when he balked at a $21 million contract offer he received. ESPN has the actual quote as, "I've got a family to feed." Regardless of the actual wording, I remember sitting around with my buddies talking about the sheer ignorance and audacity that he had to say such a thing.

I am not one to believe in Karma, but often times when something happens that others would call Karma I do end up with a little bit of satisfaction. I just read that his 70 foot $1.5 million yacht is being siezed because his house is in foreclosure. What is crazy about his statement is that nobody else offered him another deal and when he turned down the $21 million dollar contract he never played again in the NBA. How is it you go from having mouths to feed to all of a sudden not having mouths to feed? Well this is a stupid question on my part because the reality is that he shouldn't have said those things in the first place. He should have just said its not worth my time. The sad part is that it obviously was worth his time to keep playing because he might not be able to feed his own mouth in the near future.

1 comment:

Swany said...

Considering the almost mythical sex lives of some pro basketball players (Wilt Chamberlain comes to mind), you gotta wonder if he really does have a family to feed--a really, really big family of illegitimate children.