Monday, February 18, 2008

Has the Halo Series Been Knocked Down for Wild Willie?

Many of you know that in my past I was a huge Halo fan, but the birth of my daughter squashed all video games in my free time. I am almost ashamed to admit that I haven't even seen Halo 3 in action. Last week an interested thing happened. I got to play a video game. A couplemy wife and I know have the game Rock Band and convinced us all to play. I found it wildly addictive and massive fun. I would venture to say that it wouldn't be much fun alone, but I can't make that assessment because I have never played that way.

The game is played at most with four people. There is lead guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. It is really pretty simple. For the guitar and bass you have to hit the right button and strum the guitar at the same time as a button passes a certain point on the screen. Similar to the guitars are the drums, except that you pretty much just hit the appropriate drum head or foot pedal at the appropriate time. Vocals tests your pitch as you sing into the microphone. Your first goal is to make it through any song of your choosing (at least the 25 or so that you start with) ranging from 60's rock all the way up to present. (I got to play lead guitar for Boston's Foreplay while my wife played bass.) To make it through a song you have to hit so many notes right or the crowd boos you off stage. If anyone in your band sucks, another member can save them by playing really well. But get this ... playing really well won't do it alone, you have to throw some physical flare into your play like playing your guitar in an upright position. Your second goal is to score points through perfection. One thing that really drew me in was how unsatisfying it was when you missed a note. Your sitting there playing your guitar solo and you miss a note and the sound coming from the tv misses the note too.

I would highly recommend anyone from the Kool-Aid gang picking this up and playing it with friends. And on our next get together, this is going to be a must for wherever we are all staying.

3 comments:

Dutch said...

Rock Band is fun as hell. I've played it a few times at parties. One of my favorite things about it is the drum solos. Basically, you can hit the drums however you want. I call it "doing the Animal," named after the drummer on the Muppet Show.

AN-NAH-MAHL!

Swany said...

The closest I've gotten to playing this is Guitar Hero.

Sounds like fun, but I'd hate to be the one that actually owns the game--it seems like your living room would be a mess of wires and controllers.

Wander said...

I have people calling out sick every day right now to stay home and play Rock Band or Guitar Hero.
They are great games, but my favorite is a guy I know telling someone what a great guitar player he is. He doesn't play guitar. He plays these games. It's like saying you can fly because when you jump you get off the ground. Or you invented the internet because you are running for President.
Ouch... went too far there. Made myself sad.