Thursday, September 11, 2008

Enough is enough...

For this entire presidential campaign season, I was really trying to keep an open mind about who I would vote for come November, and wait for the debates to decide. I truly believe John McCain is a decent guy and a true patriot. I was even willing to give the Sarah Palin VP pick a pass, 'cause what in the world was he supposed to do to get back in the race other than throw a wrench into the whole gameplan? However, the fact that he allowed this whole "lipstick on a pig" fiasco yesterday to not only grab 15 seconds of traction, but also approved a whole commercial completely distorting the original context of the quote, really rubbed me the wrong way and has totally destroyed any faith I had in the guy that he could truly stay above the fray. Sure, Karl Rove and his underlings are more than likely behind this whole thing (and even perhaps the whole disaster that is our involvement in Iraq), but McCain is still ultimately the man in charge of the tone of his campaign. If he lets sh*t-slinging like this through, I can't imagine what it would be like if he was in the Oval Office.

The worst thing about the whole "lipstick on a pig" business is that it's probably playing to a whole ignorant, uneducated demographic that perhaps saw a five second blurb about it and didn't stay to research the real context of how Obama used the phrase (or the fact that McCain has used the phrase himself in the same manner). We probably have a whole section of America that's convinced Obama is some sort of sexist based solely on the press of this thing.

So my vote is for Barack Obama. It probably won't count for much, given the electoral college system and the state I live in, but who cares?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a blip on this on the radio yesterday. After seeing it hear I decided to do a quick search to see what all the hubub is about. Then I thought it would just be easier to ask. What is going on with all this lipstick on a pig stuff?

Swany said...

A brief summary is available here:
http://wire.factcheck.org/2008/09/10/pigs-and-pit-bulls/

I especially like the McCain spokesperson response when asked to defend the commercial:

Asked why she was so confident Obama was “comparing” Palin to a pig, [former Massachusetts Gov. Jane Swift, on behalf of the McCain campaign,] said Palin was the only one of the four candidates on both parties’ tickets who wears lipstick.

“She is the only one of the four candidates for president or the only vice presidential candidate who wears lipstick,” Swift said. “I mean it seemed to me a very gendered comment.”

But, Swift added, if “as part of his apology Senator Obama wants to say no he was calling Senator McCain — who is a true hero in our country a pig — then I suppose we could wait en masse for an apology to that as well.”

Wander said...

Welcome to the dark side Swany (no that isn't a rascism joke). I've been sporting Obama swag for about 2 months now, and I have to say I'm very pleased to have you along for the ride. Win or lose, at least we know we chose the right one.

Anonymous said...

Of all the comments it would make the most sense to me that Mccain is the pig and Palin is the lipstick.

Additionally, if my comment is along the lines of the truth it isn't necessarily that McCain is a pig so much as McCain is still just the same as everyone else in office.

I don't find the comment to be as significant as people think. It is all just political posturing by McCain and his strategists, which unfortunately are very well adept at what they do.

Swany said...

No, I think this one went beyond posturing, and to put it out there in an official ad approved by John McCain makes it very significant to me.

Something like this goes way beyond leaked gossip and rumors to the press or "swift boat" tactics with ads not officially approved by the candidate. This is essentially John McCain saying himself that Obama made a sexist remark aimed squarely at Palin. Not the inspiration of change I'm looking for.