Friday, June 27, 2008

Is it just me or are engineers the most joyless bunch of dicks ever to brood around an office?

Since I've recently moved back to hardware documentation, I've been around a bunch of engineers. These aren't "software engineers" mind you - not the pocket-protector wearing dorks who overstate their own importance and erroneously believe themselves to be hackers (when they're just script kiddies.) These are actual engineers creating physical things in the physical world. I'm finding that an overwhelming majority of these guys are true wankers.

And this doesn't jive with my usual perception of engineers. I usually think of Wankmaster Scratch and his rubber chicken. I think of Fandango6 saying to me, "Here you go Sonny, a little something for your sweet tooth!" Or I think of Wild Willie telling about my Aunt's balls. When I think engineer, I think of anything but these sombre, depressing, sad-sacks grumbling through the halls and throwing me the stink eye.

Part of it could be my boss. She has a habit of pissing the engineers off, and this is guilt by association. But I really don't think so. I'm not getting that the engineers are unhappy with me or my group particularly, but that they are just unhappy.

Any insights from the engineers, current or former?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anytime you put "bunch" and "dicks" together you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to include joyless along with it. Engineering has predominantly been a man's profession founded upon this thought of "I know best." You "insert" that thought into a group of women and it gets ousted pretty quickly essentially creating a viscous circle of a bunch of dicks. That equals joyless.

Swany said...

I remember when I was still an engineering major in college taking a physics for engineers class where we were allowed to drop the lowest two test scores during the semester to calculate our final grade. As most of those gargantuan classes at UT, we were graded on a curve. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing so hot that semester (and is partly the reason why I switched majors and transferred out to another school). Anywho, I recall hearing a couple of these engineering guys snickering as they looked up their last test scores that were posted before class--they aced the exam, just as they had all the others. Truth in fact, they didn't even have to take that particular test because they were guaranteed a 4.0 already. But why did they take it? "We just came to f*ck up the curve." Assholes.

Wander said...

You know what Engineers use for birth control, right? Their personalities.