Tuesday, November 6, 2007

You don't know where that lime has been...

I know Wander is a big fan of kicking back with a bottle of Corona with lime. I can't say I actually know where the addition of lime got started in the history of Corona Extra consumption, but I guess it does add that little bit of flavor that makes Mexican beers in general pretty darn good.

I never put any thought to the cleanliness of that citrus garnish to my beer, and it looks like no one in New York City did either, until now. The New York Times has a entertaining story about a local saloon that got dinged for a bartender barehandedly inserting a lime into a bottle of Corona. Instead, they suggested servers wear rubber gloves, use tongs, or serve up the slice of lime on a plate and leave the patron to put it in himself. Seems a bit over the top and silly to me. If you're drinking Corona, are you really the type of guy that's going to be that much of a germ-a-phobe? I guess others in NYC agree:
His friend Tom Carney, 67, who retired last month from Elaine’s, the Upper East Side grand dame of bars, heard about the lime tongs and said, “You’re kidding me. That’s asinine.”

“Pair of tongs to put a lime on top of a beer bottle?” he said, and went on to perhaps date himself. “It’s got a skin on the back of it that takes scurvy off parts of your body. It’s what they use on ships.”

No comments: