Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Who watches the Watchmen?

If I were to write a script for a spy movie, I'd probably make up some diabolical scheme for world domination headed up by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the founders of Google. They probably could already figure out what our deepest, darkest vices and fears are just skimming through the multiple Google searches performed in our lives probably linked to identifying IP addresses somehow, and the secrets hidden in the myriad number of messages stored on their Gmail servers. And now, they've figured out a clever way to keep track of your very whereabouts using their Google Maps service. Starting today, Google Maps with My Location can actually locate what cell tower your phone is hooked up to and approximate what your current location is. I wonder how many times this has been used by the CIA for a surgical assassination strike. Hmmm...perhaps I should turn off my cell phone now before the guys from Mountain View send in their own Predator drone in to kill me for exposing their nefarious plans.

And now that I've got that conspiracy theory out of my head, I'll just say that Google is very cool. Perhaps the most frustrating part of using my Blackberry to map directions for me was that I could never quite figure out where I was in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now if you could just somehow figure out how to track other people based on just their phone number.

I remember working in Denver with some real slackers who hated the idea of getting a Nextel because they were afraid the company could track where they were through a gps chip. Back then it might have been a litle paranoia coming out because of all the weed those guys smoked (while on the job), but it happens now.