Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I guess I read the newspaper online, so why not comic books?

I saw this on Pop Candy and figured it was cool enough to mention again on this blog.

Marvel Comics is putting up 2,500 back issues of their comic books online. Now, instead of having to worry about putting creases, fingerprints, and undo ultraviolet light exposure on your near-mint condition copy of The Incredible Hulk #180 featuring the first appearance of Wolverine (which I, of course, don't own), you can find it online and read it to your heart's content. You can read through the entire Phoenix saga in The Uncanny X-Men without having to buy a trade paperback or pilfer through the dusty back issue bins at your local comic store while some creepy smelly guy in a black trench coat stares at you with condescending eyes.

I have long since ditched my fanboy misconceptions that comic book collecting is a great investment vehicle that will someday make me rich, but I still enjoy reading comics for the stories and the artwork. Considering I used to spend a lot more than $9.99/month, getting an online subscription almost seems worth it so I don't have to hassle with the problems of storing a bunch of books in space I don't have. Too bad the majority of what I read these days is from DC and other publishers. X-Men hasn't been all that great in a few years.

Anywho, head over to Marvel Digital Comics, and give it a try. They've got 250 issues you can view for free, and the the "Smart Panel" feature actually makes reading a comic book online not so bad.

No comments: