Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Something tells me this is going to be one of those seasons...

Ralph Barrera (American-Statesman)

I'm still trying to process seeing last weekend's 21-13 final score for the Longhorns' opening game against Arkansas State. Although I didn't get a chance to watch the game, from the post-game analysis I've read, it didn't sound pretty. The defensive secondary still has problems, the offensive play calling was uninspired, and to make matters even worse, Colt McCoy wasn't looking like the redshirt freshman phenom he was last year for the majority of the game. I guess they came out with a win, but it looks like even that might have been helped by an errant call.

I hate to look at next week like this, but TCU has something to prove, and I think they're going to take it out on Texas Saturday. Considering the Indians ran through the Horns for 125 yards of rushing, just imagine what damage the Horned Frogs are capable of. Hey, at least Firecracker George will have something to rib us all about. And to take a little edge of the ensuing hurt, take a look at this Texas tailgater shown on The M Zone blog (NSFW). Perhaps she needs to meet up with that similarly painted up Horned Frog fan.

ESPN's take:
It was over when... Colt McCoy found Antwan Cobb in the end zone with 2:49 remaining in the first quarter. That score was all the lead Texas would need.

Gameball goes to... Jamaal Charles. The junior running back kept Arkansas State's D honest and took the heat off McCoy, rushing for 117 yards and a TD.

Stat of the game... 2-for-13. The Indians had more first downs and total yards and gave up fewer penalty yards and turnovers. But they couldn't convert on third or fourth down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a good thing I was on vacation and didn't have to read all the post game commentary the day after. I was a few days remved before I knew anything other than the score. I have to echo your feelings for this weekend. I think we could possibly lose to TCU. Actually, I think we will see a really good game.