Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More gadget lust from the wizard in Cupertino...

About a month or so ago, I neglected my iPod and it took a suicidal dive into some Diet Dr. Pepper. It accidentally fell off my lap while I was lounging at the pool, and fell straight into a plastic cup full of soda on the ground. Now, I thought it was amazing that the cup mouth would be exactly wide enough to fit said iPod, and even more miraculous that the thing fell straight into the cup without knocking it over or hitting the cup rim first. Needless to say, it wasn't working after I fished it out only seconds later. I let it "dry out" for a day, but alas, it still was not functioning. In a last ditch effort, I even went and got a Torx wrench to open her up and pretend like I knew how to perform iPod surgery. Somewhere in the process of prying out the battery, however, I got a faint whiff of burning electronics and saw a puff of smoke reminiscent of a Mission: Impossible self destruct sequence arise from its innards. Not good.


I didn't find any remaining moisture in there, but after reassembling it, my iPod somehow came back to life, although severely handicapped with a quarter-functioning click wheel and a really messed up display.

Needless to say, combined with the mars and scratches I inflicted on the casing when prying her open and the fact that it just wouldn't work properly, this was playing major games with my OCD. I'm also worried it might just blow up in my pocket at any minute. Since then, I've been struggling to fight the urge retiring her and just buying a new one. Steve Jobs, however, will not hear of such consumer restraint, and today tantalizes me with not one, not two, but THREE new iPods with which to spend my as-yet-to-be-earned money. I don't know if Steve Jobs is a god or the devil himself.


Oddly, Apple stock closed 5% down today despite the news. Who knew not being able to buy episodes of The Office off of iTunes anymore would have such an impact?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since leaving the pc world and diving into the apple world, I have been a bit more obsessive about my enjoyment of apple products. I now find myself watching the long unveiling events for their new prducts and oohing and aahing through the entire video.

One of the coolest things is the wifi abilities of the touch ipod. If you walk into a Starbucks the ipod will automatically tell you what song they are playing on their speakers and give you the oportunity to buy it on the spot.