Thursday, July 27, 2006

You can't be serious

So this whole story about a positive urine test from Floyd Landis after his epic Stage 17 comeback really bothers me. The fact that they still need the results of his "B" sample to officially rule him guilty of using performance-enhancing drugs shows that this story broke way too early. Even if his "B" sample ends up negative, this stigma of him possibly being a doper will always hang over his head, and that would be a shame considering the obstacles he had to overcome just to win the Tour de France this year.

And if his "B" sample is positive? Well, I'm still pretty skeptical. All kinds of things about this don't make sense:

  1. After having a featured exclusive story revealing his battle with avascular necrosis of his hip in the New York Times, one of the most read sources of news in the world, Floyd would have to be an idiot to be riding on a cycle of the juice with all the limelight focused straight on the only American who showed any promise in winning the Tour.
  2. They drug test at the end of every stage of the Tour de France--20! And only one came back positive for abnormally high testosterone levels? Maybe I don't know much about using steroids for sports, but I don't think one dose of testosterone on one day of the race alone gives any appreciable performance boost, so it's ludicrous to think he'd use it in this fashion.
This all leads me to believe that cycling is the dirtiest sport in the world, or that these drug tests are too sensitive and not very specific. Just when I thought this year's Tour had been salvaged, it gets all messy again.

2 comments:

Dutch said...

I agree, I think this all just amounts to sour crepes on the part of the frogs. I couldn't say why, but I totally believed Armstrong when he refuted his doping allegations.

Swany said...

A little correction: I guess Floyd Landis submitted a total of seven separate samples, not twenty. They only screen the race leader, the stage winner, and a random participant after each stage. Still makes no sense, though...