Monday, July 31, 2006

Somehow, I doubt that he meant it.

I just got back from running an errand at lunch, where I had to sit in traffic for 20 minutes to go a half mile. The reason was road construction which funneled three lanes into one. Now, seeing as I sat in the queue like a good, law-abiding motorist I was reticent to let anyone in who had driven up the turning lane and the lane clearly marked way back as a terminating lane. So when this younger man tried to cut in front of me after I'd nearly had a stroke waiting in line, I didn't let him. He drove forward, I went around him. He gave me the obligatory dirty look, I stared at him impassively. Then, he got my attention, and pantomimed that he would pray for me. I stared at him impassively.

Later on I thought, I actually doubt that this guy will pray for me. I mean, heck, if he would pray for me when I had been so jerky, or at best uncharitable, I would not only appreciate it (I can use all the help I can get), but I would consider him quite the man. To be wronged - or at least - to receive a smart ass look when you've asked for a favor, and then instead of retaliating you hope for the other's betterment, is very admirable and shows quite the evolution of spirit.

But, as I've established, I seriously doubt that this guy will pray for me. I doubt that the next time he prays, he'll think, and Lord, please place some charity into the heart of that butthole who wouldn't let me in today. Instead, I think that that young man communicated that to me to make me feel guilty. (I didn't work :P) This is a prime example of how I think people abuse religion in order to manipulate.

People are so quick to point out the mote in another's eye when they have a boulder in theirs. And they feel not only justified, but righteous, and that God is on their side in the matter. In my mind, intent is as important as action. To chastise or correct not out of concern for the betterment of a fellow human being, but to shame them into compliance with your wishes is not righteous. To puff up and point your finger is self-delusional.

Wandering as my noodle does, it made me think of the chorus from that old Christmas hymn, Ave Maria. "Fall to your knees" it goes: damn right. One cannot truly receive redemption without radical humility. How can the slave ask for forgiveness of his debt, when he scolds another slave for his? This is not just forgiveness of someone's sin against you, but a recognition of your own imperfection, and therefore a "forgiveness" of anyone and everyone's sin, a.k.a. imperfection. Mohandis K. Ghandi said it best,
"We are all such sinners it is best to leave judgment to God."

I mean heck, I knew I was being a jerk.

No comments: