Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Bear Sightings

So I was never aware of the growing bear problem in Vail until I saw a story about it in the Vail Daily newspaper. Soon after, my wife from her vantage point on our condo balcony was convinced she spotted a bear running across a ski run high on the mountain not far from where we had hiked earlier in the day. Next time, I'm packing bear spray.

But in more calm bear sightings, I went searching through downtown Denver on our way back home for one of the coolest pieces of public artwork I've seen in awhile. Standing 40 feet tall outside the Denver Convention Center, this big blue bear (or I See What You Mean) is apparently the result of an ongoing public works project where a small portion of local taxes go to fund art in public spaces around the city.

I'm just surprised that the bear didn't melt the day I took this picture--it was 102 degrees outside!

No comments: