Sunday, July 30, 2006

Miami Vice

Based on the trend-setting 80's television series full of neon flashes of South Beach decadence, one would have thought a movie based on Miami Vice would have been perfect for a summer blockbuster. Instead, director Michael Mann crafts a film that probably would have been more suited for the more subdued confines of an arthouse theater.

The basic premise from the old television series is familiar--Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs are undercover vice cops infiltrating the world of south Florida drug trafficking. The Italian-designed clothes, slick speedboats, roaring Ferraris, and moody soundtrack are still there, too, but that's where the similarities end. Shot in high definition digital video, the cinematography is grainy and dim. Instead of the pastel bright colors of South Beach glamour, we're taken along for a ride into the dark underbelly that exists in Miami outside the glitzy nightclubs and beachfront condos.

Colin Farrell has shown he can be an OK actor, but he's yet to display anything that I would consider leading man quality, and this is no different. I struggled through a quarter of his lines trying to figure out what he was trying to mumble or what accent he was trying to use. I can sure believe the rumors that he was stoned while he was making this film, prompting his need for rehab after production wrapped. Jamie Foxx fairs better, and this may be the first film I've seen him in where I wasn't thinking back to his comedic days on In Living Color. Gong Li gives probably the best performance, even despite a thick Chinese accent and choppy English that initially made me wince. Her strengths are in her presence and acting when she's not speaking, a skill that not many actors can accomplish.

The plot was pretty difficult to understand at times (not helped by the combination of Colin Farrell's mumbling and Gong Li's imperfect English). But the pacing was right on. The film starts out without even a title card and drops you straight into the middle of a Miami club where a bust is about to take place. Things sort of simmer over time, until things really boil over into the climactic minutes where Michael Mann really excels--grandiose urban shootouts. Pretty intense scenes that are almost on par with his previous work in Heat.

Rumor has it that the budget to make Miami Vice was around $140 million. I thought it funny that a recent review by the New York Times notes that this is well above the annual operating budget of the real Miami-Dade Police. Considering Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest cost about as to produce, I am left to wonder where all the money was spent on this picture. The shootouts were spectacular, but certainly nothing I would have thought would have been that expensive to produce. Awhile back, I read about a supposedly killer speedboat scene that was supposed to be in the movie. Even some of the promotional stills prior to the films release suggested we would see Crockett and Tubbs competing in a flashy boat race. Yet that scene never made it into the movie, and I wonder if much of the inflated budget was left on the cutting room floor. Perhaps a director's cut on DVD will reveal a more coherent movie and show us what $140 million really buys.

I really dig Michael Mann films and this is no different. He has yet to make a movie that I didn't like. I'll admit, though, Miami Vice wasn't what I was expecting for a summer movie blockbuster, and it probably would have worked better had it been released under a different title and without all the expectations that the old TV series brings to mind. It wasn't his best work, but I certainly think it was worth my money.

*** (out of *****)

4 comments:

Dutch said...

I liked it myself; sort of a like the old show but better and not campy.

My only lament is that they didn't make Castillo a ninja like in the old show. I wanted to see that fat guy do some wire-work martial arts ala Jet Li.

Swany said...

Rumor was that Edward James Olmos was actually offerred the chance to reprise his role as Castillo, but had scheduling conflicts with Battlestar Galactica.

And I didn't think the old show was really that campy. Pastel suits and neon lights--that was just South Beach back in the day.

Dutch said...

Ninja police leuitenant and Philip Michael Thomas? Maybe corny would have been a better term.

Dutch said...

When I think of campy, I think of drag queen shows and the old Batman TV series from the 60's, so obviously campy is a misnomer. I'm sticking by corny, however.

No doubt that I loved the show back in the day, but I also used to love the old Wonder Woman and A-Team shows, and those are terrible. I watched a little of the Miami Vice show before I saw the movie, and I saw Phillip Michael Thomas' bad acting, over-the-top villians (a drug dealing, doll collecting, insane pedophile who talked to his dolls and had them "talk back" in this weird voice.) And of course, the aforementioned ninja police lt. Interestly enough, I thought Edward James Olmos' sparse acting was some of the better acting on the show.
Lastly, I also remember episodes where Crockett and Tubbs shot down an airplane with their pistols. Those would have to be like, what, .40 at best? Shooting up like that, AT A PLANE, you are unlikely to even hit anything, much less breech a fuel tank and then cause the plane to explode. There was also the time Crockett got amnesia and thought that he really was Burnet. That's pretty standard Soap Opera stuff, isn't it?

I guess to be fair, I have to admit that I can recall some pretty cool stuff about the show as I rehash some of the corny bits. And no doubt, Michael Mann is a great director. He's #2 on my list just behind Ang Lee. Manhunter, while retaining some of the overly dramatic Miami Vice feel, was a good flick. And although Ralph Fiennes did a great job in Red Dragon, the tooth fairy in Manhunter was scarrier.

As for the movie, best crime drama since Heat. (Which not only spawned other crime movies, but possibly other crimes, if you remember those two Armenians who robbed a bank in LA in 96' wearing body armor and toting assault rifles.) I thought that Colin Farell's acting was a little muted, but maybe that's just because I can't appreciate it not being an actor myself. Jamie Foxx was pretty lean, too, but he wasn't given much to really shine in. I thought Gong Li's performance was the most admirable - she really sounded Cuban to me, through a slight Chinese accent. Then, my three favorite scenes:

1)That blonde chick putting a round through that skinhead's noodle

2)Tubbs having the FBI report the shipment to different agencies on different days in order to find the leak.

3)Tubbs using that grenade launcher loaded with buckshot to take out the main bad guy (Remember they used it to blow the lock of that door when they robbed the cocaine shipment).