Friday, October 19, 2007

In case you get lost in your bathroom...

I can't seem to remember exactly what I used when I started shaving, but I seem to recall the Gillette Sensor being one of the earliest razors to claim space next to my bathroom sink. Since then, I've been sucked into every iteration of Gillette's male grooming evolution. The Sensor, Sensor Excel, Mach 3, Mach 3 Turbo, Mach 3 Power--I've owned them all. Even after poking fun at the seemingly endless addition of an increasing amount of blades, I actually got a five-bladed Gillette Fusion Power awhile back. I'm not sure it really cuts any closer or treats my face any better than its older brethren, but I continue to shell out the extra cash for replacement blades anyway.

Not to rest on their laurels, but perhaps realizing that making a 10-blade razor would be ridiculous, Gillette has instead chosen to go the Swiss Army route and started adding gadgets to their shaving equipment. The newest Fusion model, in collaboration with The Art of Shaving, has a built in flashlight just in case you feel the urge to shave in the dark, I guess. I figure cell phone, text messaging, mp3 playback, and GPS tracking capabilities can't be too far behind.

I will endorse other products from The Art of Shaving though. I've been using their lavender shaving cream with a badger hair shaving brush for the past couple of years and haven't had an ingrown hair or any other skin irritation since.

4 comments:

Dutch said...

You have like a total of ten whiskers. I want to hear from Wild Willie on the subject. When that man grows a beard, he looks like he has a grizzly bear on his face.

Tinsie said...

A flashlight on a razor? The mind boggles, it really does.

Anonymous said...

Here is what I have realized about all the additional blades. They pack them in there so close that if I wait a day or two before shaving the hairs get wedged in between the blades and then the blades, whether it is 4 or 10 become ineffective. So I am not a fan of all the additional blades. I will probably go back to the original sensor after I use up what I have. As far as a flashlight ... I could see this working for someone with ten whiskers. A light that close would help you see if you missed anything. But when you have a forest on your face missing one or two whiskers is not as crucial.

Dutch said...

Well, the dimmer switch on my bathroom light is broken, so I've been shaving by braille for a few days now. Maybe I need a flashlight on my razor.