Monday, October 1, 2007

Did you know?

Due to the nature of my job, the start of my day often coincides with the sun rising. I could start working earlier, but it would make it a little hard to see. When thinking ahead on my schedule today, I thought I would take into account Daylight Saving Time. I knew that Bush had signed an act to push the dates two weeks longer this year and all following years pending Congressional approval.

What I didn't know and had always said incorrectly is the middle word. I had always said Daylight Savings Time, but the correct way is to not have an "s" on the end of Saving. In this case Saving is a participle modifying the word "time." It would also be more accurate to spell it out daylight-saving time, but we all know the hyphen is going the way of the dodo.

(source: here)

1 comment:

Swany said...

Or you could be hip and just call it "DST."

I'd need to look back at some old news footage. Considering Bush's knack for mispronouncing stuff, I wonder if he said "saving" or "savings" when he enacted this new law. And I wonder if it's a regional kind of thing. I've always said "savings," too.