Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Music

My wife and I happily stumbled upon a gift card for iTunes recently. Well, stumbled isn't exactly true. We have a grocer here in NC that gives you a gift if you spend $40 in one purchase for 14 out of 16 weeks. This is not a hard feat for us to accomplish. We have already receive some fold up camping chairs this year which have come in handy on more than one occasion. This last week we had our choice at a handful of different $25 gift certificates. My wife gave me the choice between iTunes and the Outback Steakhouse. I'll spend money on a steak without a second thought. Spending money on music though is a place I will typically hold back. Knowing this, I told her it would be more fun to use it on music.

The problem, though, is that I don't feel like I am in the loop, and I don't know what to buy. With this stuff burning a hole in my pocket I am in need of your help. I have heard that James Morrison would be a good purchase, but I am unsure from the thirty second clips I hear. Name one new artist you would purchase right now, and if you had to buy any 2 songs what would they be?

9 comments:

Swany said...

Yeah, James Morrison is a little too much like something they'd play on one of those shows on the CW.

I gave Metric my endorsement a couple of posts or so ago. I dig "Soft Rock Star" and "Rock Me Now" on Grow Up and Blow Away.

If female vocals aren't your taste, you can't go wrong with a little music from the Lone Star State. Spoon isn't a new band, but they've got a new album Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. I'd buy "You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb" and "Black Like Me."

Ryan Adams' latest album Easy Tiger is pretty good, too. Only problem with Adams is that he seems to come out with a new album once a month--it's really hard to keep up with his music. Anywho, the whole album is good listening, but the wife pretty much skips back to "Two" all the time.

And then, of course, is Avril Lavigne's latest album The Best Damn Thing. It's, like, totally awesome. Yeeeeaaaah, I'm like, totally kidding. I "borrowed" it off the internet for the wife to "try out," though, so she can let loose in the car to "Girlfriend"--either evidence that she's on the verge of a total breakdown or that she's totally a girl.

Dutch said...

This may sound a tad nutty from me, but there is a new singer who I've been digging for a few days named Colbie Caillat. She's some 22 year old from Cali I think, but she has some good stuff. Kind of an old Sheryl Crowe sound but a bit poppier, without being corny.

The whole album is pretty good really, but Bubbly and Oxygen are two that come to mind.

Swany said...

Firecracker George just endorsed a song called "Bubbly"--that is nutty.

Wander said...

The summer for me has been about Markus Schulz and his new album "Progression". Absolutely one of my favorite albums in years. It came out last month, but was luckily just added to ITunes just last week. I would go with "On A Wave" and "Lost Cause", but to be honest I really think Swany is the only other one here that will like this album. I could be wrong though.

Swany said...

I can't imagine Firecracker George, Wild Willie, or WM Scratch getting too crazy about trance techno music. Maybe Fandango? I haven't really kept up well with what his musical tastes run towards these days, although I always seem to think of him when C+C Music Factory comes on the radio. And who knows about 115-CLF? He was a huge DM fan back in the day, but for all I know, he's listens to nothing but hardcore gangsta rap now.

My interest in techno music seems to drift back and forth, but the samples of Markus Schulz on iTunes sounded promising.

Willie, you find anything worth spending your gift card on?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I really appreciate all the input. Now I just have to find the time to go and check it all out. Maybe today when I want to waste some time.

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to listen, and I am a fan of some of Spoon's stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to dig Spoon as well. Don't have their stuff yet but like what I hear on the radio here in Austin. Want to check out Kings of Leon.

On another note, you should have heard your sister and me do our Meatloaf ("I would do anything...") duet at a karaoke party last night. You might want to get that on iTunes! Queenloaf rules!

Swany said...

Kings of Leon are kind of hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's just a little too "southern rock" for my tastes.