Thursday, August 16, 2007

I'm not sure this is quite tiding me over until college football season...


Last weekend, I happened to be flipping channels and caught the Fast Money MBA Challenge on CNBC. Kind of like Jeopardy for business-minded people, the Challenge pits MBA students from some of the top business schools in the nation against each other in a tournament that gets whittled down to a head-to-head showdown. Some of you will be pleased to know that the McCombs Business School of the University of Texas made it to the final. Hook 'em!

Sadly, from what I saw, this show has less to do with actual business school knowledge and more to do with business-related trivia. It actually makes MBA's look a bit dumb (Wander, please refrain from any G.W. Bush jokes), resorting to stereotypical tactics of trying to BS their way through questions. Case in point, a player from UCLA last week going on and on about how he was trying to recall who picked up their garbage during his childhood days in Minnesota in hopes of trying to answer the question of who is the largest waste management company in the United States.

I know a couple of MBA's who peruse the Kool-Aid Gang Blog, so I know there are smart guys with business degrees out there. The interactive "Are you smarter than an MBA student?" quiz on the CNBC website is probably more reflective of the knowledge base a business student must learn. Too bad they didn't use more of these type of questions in the game. I'll admit, though, the episode I watched was one of the early rounds--maybe the questions get harder the further in you get.

4 comments:

Dutch said...

My guess on the waste management is BFI. Am I right?

Fandango6 said...

No, its Waste Management, they are twice as big.

Swany said...

And here I was worried that no one was reading anymore except Wild Willie.

I figured this post was my best shot at getting a response from Fandango. It worked!

Dutch said...

College football and landfills - the only other thing you could have thrown in to get his attention would be big bridges and submarines.