Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bear with me, I'm obsessed with stuff like this...

As you all know, my wife and I still have no kids, but we plan to some day, and because of that, I have this odd fascination with baby strollers and stroller technology. The Bugaboo Frog has become the "it" stroller for wealthy hipster couples and their infant offspring over the past couple of years or so. A stroll through any trendy metropolitan area will probably garner at least a few sightings of this Dutch invention or its updated brethren such as the Gecko or Cameleon along the sidewalks and streets. Now one would think I've fallen for yet another badge of overpriced yuppiedom that's more style than substance, but truth is, I find these strollers to be the equivalent to comparing fine European automobiles to their American counterparts. With it's well-thought out interchangeablility, foldability, and it's revolutionary shocks, the Bugaboo rolls like a sport-tuned BMW while some domestic baby ride looks like a Chevy Malibu. Honestly, what male couldn't love this stuff?

But what is one to do when traveling and portability is key? Before, you'd have to go buy something like a MacLaren, and sadly leave the technological advances of the Bugaboo at home while your baby bemoans the loss of his/her smooth-as-butter ride. Come September, though, not anymore 'cause Bugaboo will then release their new model, the Bee. Yeah, yeah, this video is a little gay, but check out those shocks, man! Check out the handling! Nice:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So here is my lowdown on strollers. We got a Combi that held the car seat, and we got the umbrella style MacLaren from the Kool-Aid Gang. The car seat ability is really cool but doesn't last long in the grand scheme of things. I almost wonder if it is even worth it for the amount of time it is used. I was not of fan of the Combi. It felt rickety, and there is no way I could do a cartwheel over it. We got the version that had higher handles on it, but I still continually was kicking the back of it. It never steered well, and I would not buy another one. The MacLaren that I got from the gang has been a blessing. It is awesome. It steers well, feels sturdy, and the handle positioning is great for me. I highly recommend the MacLaren for a middle of the road stroller. As far as top of the line strollers, Bugaboo is the way to go. I have even been around some. My wife and child attend a play group that is predominantly strolled with Bugaboo. They are nice. Oh, and not that you need any more incentive, but I think the top of the line one turns into a high chair too. When you add up the cost of two different strollers and a high chair you might as well open up the wallet a little wider and get the luxury.

Swany said...

I just realized I have a video of baby strollers here and a stripper just beneath. If you needed any more proof that my interests are rather broad and varied...

Dutch said...

You're absolutely right, Pimp.


That video was gay. It was really gay. And this comes from a man who doesn't like to call things gay.

But this time I can't help it. The video should be on the cover of the Advocate.

Swany said...

Actually, considering these kinds of designer strollers are typically marketed to a slightly more liberal crowd, I was surprised none of the mothers at the end of the commercial were men (or that any of the fathers were women, for that matter).