Thursday, August 2, 2007

03.06.09 To Watch The Watchmen

No, that isn't a cover from the Watchmen series, that is the first official movie poster of the film. If that does not bode well for this production, nothing will.
Just to top it all off, here are some cool quotes from director Zack Snyder at the San Diego Comic-Con last weekend.
"I have been having a lot of fun, because I always say treat the graphic novel like it was written 2,000 years ago, and it is an illuminated text, and we are disciples of this religion and we have to make sure that we won't be burned at the stake for heresy after we make the movie. So I think that's the fun that we also have. Even just as small of things as when Rorschach burns the S.W.A.T. cops with hairspray, we were sitting around and they showed me some hairsprays, some ratty hairspray cans, and I go the labels are wrong. They're like "what do you mean?" I [flip through my reference materials], see? You could do that with every single thing in the movie."
"I take the graphic novel and I have the script and I say, okay, Rorschach comes into someone's apartment. That's what I have [on the page]. Then I say how did they draw that? I [realize] I need to be a little over here because there's a staircase on our set, but basically referencing that frame, so I cut that frame out and glue it in my book next to the drawing I did. That way on the day I can go, wouldn't it be cool if that shadow was the same as [in the comic]? So it's not quite as easy as just going "oh, that shot, that shot, that shot." You go, "that shot, oh, that shot's weird, that shot makes sense for our set, and then this isn't in the book, it's voiceover, so I've got to make it up." So it's a ballet or something - I don't know (laughs)."
Will it be a good film? Only time will tell. But, I got a growing feeling it will be.

2 comments:

Dutch said...

That is definitely a good sign that he wants to reference the original to that degree. I hope he sticks with it and no one else (producer, editor) undoes too much of what he's doing.

Swany said...

I think the biggest problem for him will be getting this contained into a film under three hours.