Sunday, July 6, 2008

BA Baracus


I love MMA! Rarely do I considere purchasing pay-per-view stuff other than a college football game here or there, but I always find myself wishing I had a lot more disposable income whenever there is a MMA fight on pay-per-view. Last night Forrest Griffin squared off with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson for the light heavyweight title.

They competed against each other as coaches on the reality television series The Ultimate Fighter on Spike this spring. Because these are free to watch, I typically set my DVR to record all the episodes. I usually have a clear cut favorite of who I want to win based purely on the likability of each guy. I had a hard time picking who I wanted to win last night because both guys are hilarious and really good. Rampage, though, is a mean dude. Heck even Kimbo Slice has respect for the guy, and that could be one of the meanest dudes I have ever seen. Rampage was a 3 to 1 favorite.

Believe it or not Griffin ended up beating him in a five round decision, and I found myself pleased with the result.

What I also find to be pleasing is that Rampage is being considered to play the role of BA Baracus for the upcoming A-Team movie. I think it is a pretty good choice.

3 comments:

Swany said...

I don't know, Wild Willie. Something about MMA seems vaguely like NASCAR to me. Kind of that WWF kind of vibe. Of course, I haven't watched any ultimate fighting except for what I see in commercials, so I guess I shouldn't judge too prematurely.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I would say Showbiz pizza and running through the sewers reeks a little more of Nascar than MMA, but I can still see what you are saying.

My wife doesn't quite understand my draw to it either. She seems to think it is on the barbaric side. I like it because I have watched enough to be able to see things developing.

I guess it is like most sports in that unless you know the intricacies it can look a lot like people just running around. For myself, unless I can begin to see that there is a head element to it as well it can be boring to me. This is one reason I can watch cycling and not so much basketball.

And there is also the physical side of it. I enjoy watching people push their bodies to the limit, it inspires me to do the same.

Swany said...

Yeah, watching two guys really beat the crap out of each other never struck me as entertaining. When it's stylized violence such as in a movie or if it involves ninjas, I love watching it. Make it look real, though, and I tend to lose the enjoyment. I never really liked to watch boxing all that much, and I still wince when I see Fight Club. Maybe I'm just wimpy in that way. Maybe I just don't understand the sport well enough.