Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sonic textures from the land of the frogs...

I've been a bit lax in trying out new music, recently I've been listening to this new album Saturdays=Youth by the French band M83 after reading about it somewhere on the Internet.  I can't say I was familiar with their earlier work, but I have a feeling Wander has been a fan for years and probably has their entire discography (including rare imports from Zimbabwe and Thailand).  ;-)


Anywho, it's really good.  Kind of hankering back to all those New Wave bands from our youth, yet sounding entirely modern at the same time.  "Kim and Jessie" reminds me a bit of Thompson Twins.  "Couleurs" is like an extended New Order instrumental mix.  And my favorite song on the album, "We Own the Sky," is like a mish-mash of all those alternative 80's bands.


No comments: