Monday, January 26, 2009

You guys don't understand me at all...

Gong Xi Fai Cai!  It's the Year of the Ox!

This is an especially auspicious year for me, since by the Chinese calendar, I was born in the Year of the Ox.  I don't know if you believe in any of the tellings of the Chinese zodiac and what your time of birth says about you, but I decided to look up "Ox" on Wikipedia.  

Apparently positive traits of the Ox include:  "responsible, dependable, honest, caring, honourable, intelligent, artistic, industrious, practical."

Negative traits of the Ox include: "petty, inflexible, possessive, dogmatic, gullible, stubborn, critical, intolerant, materialistic."

In some respects, that sounds exactly like me, and in others, nothing like me.  I'd ask the Kool-Aid Gang about whether they thought there was any truth to this, but then I looked a step further to who the Ox is apparently compatible with. To my horror, I found this:

Ox and TIGER
Personality clashes and bitter rivalry. No understanding of each other. Animosities and mutual distrust. Unable to resolve their differences.
Given that most of the Kool-Aid Gang are Tigers by the Chinese zodiac, that alarmed me. Given that my wife is a Tiger, well, that explains a lot of the arguments we have. ;-)

Oh well.  What does a stupid horoscope know?  I think I missed the cutoff to be a Tiger by only a few days anyway.  

Happy Chinese New Year to you all!  Hope you were able to celebrate better than me.  No lucky dumplings or long life noodles for me at dinner.  Instead, I browsed around Costco and got the "$1.50 hot dog and a Coke" special.  Yum.

3 comments:

W.M. Scratch said...

According to what I've read - not a good year to be a Tiger.

"This is the year for keeping a low profile, tigers. Because of the slow pace of the OX year, it will be a frustrating time for you. You like things to be move quicker, you will need to show restraint."

It gets worse...

Wander said...

I am an Ox. Oh, how I fit the stereotype, too.

Anonymous said...

Guan Fu is a star that represents lawsuits and court cases. This means that the Tiger should be wary of any documents that he signs whenever he gets into a contract or an agreement. He should read every detail of the documents, specially the “fine prints” in order to avoid legal problems in the future.

This doesn't bode well for me in terms of finding financing for my construction project, plus the sale of my house and the purchase of another one.