Saturday, January 10, 2009

Swany's Top 10 Movies of 2008...

So this will be the third year in a row that the cinema has disappointed me.  Most of the movies that I thought would give me geeky glee (e.g. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The X-Files: I Want to Believe) kind of fell flat, and it continues to be a long wait for that next masterpiece film that will be remembered for years and years to come.  That being said, there were some standout films that I enjoyed this year:

  1. [Addendum] Slumdog Millionaire - When I initially put this list together, I hadn't seen this film.  Original plot, excellent score, moving romance, uplifting message.  Forget what I said about this being a horrible year for masterpiece films that I'll remember for years--this movie was wonderful.  It makes me wonder why people like Titanic so much when there's movies like this around that are so much better.
  2. The Dark Knight - This has perhaps redefined what a comic-book movie can be.  Comic book geeks have always made the argument that certain comics and graphic novels could be considered great literature, and this film proves that they can be inspirations for great films.
  3. Iron Man - Not only was this a spectacular film to watch, it was actually fun without being stupid.  This was almost on par with the great superhero movies like Superman, Spiderman, and The Dark Knight, except the final climactic battle was a bit of a letdown.
  4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - The closest thing to art on film I've seen in awhile.  Very moving, and reminds us all not to take life for granted.
  5. WALL*E - Another magical slamdunk from Pixar, and shows the power of the moving picture to evoke strong emotions without even needing dialogue.
  6. There Will Be Blood - "I drink your milkshake!"  It's worth seeing again and again for Daniel Day-Lewis alone.
  7. Definitely, Maybe - A sweet romantic comedy that didn't resort to the usual formula.
  8. Body of Lies - Reinforces the impersonal nature the war on terror has become to most of us here in the United States, while it's a very personal and daily experience for those abroad in the Middle East.
  9. In Bruges - Probably a movie you missed (and even one that I only saw because there wasn't anything else remotely interesting at the theaters at the time).  It's humorous, a little violent, and very entertaining--I highly recommending renting it.  
  10. Tell No One - Everyone tries to emulate Hitchcock, but this actually got it right.  
  11. The Reader - And not just because Kate Winslet is naked for half the film.  When you turn a blind eye to atrocities you know are happening, can you really claim innocence?  Some overriding questions that seem applicable not only to the Germans during World War II, but all of us who witness evil in the world and perhaps do nothing to stop it.
Potential movies that I didn't get a chance to see yet but might have cracked the Top 10:
Frost/Nixon
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler

Worst movie (perhaps ever):  The Happening
Granted, I had just watched that SNL short "Mark Wahlberg Talks To Animals," and busted out laughing when Marky Mark uttered his first lines in the movie.  But when he starts actually talking TO A PLANT?!  

Biggest surprise:  Twilight
I wasn't dragged kicking and screaming to see this film, but I wasn't expecting much. Surprisingly, I thought the vampire angle was kind of clever for an abstinence/sex can wait message.

Biggest disappointment:  (Tie) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs. Quantum of Solace vs. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Indiana Jones and James Bond are perhaps my favorite franchise film characters of all time.  I enjoyed both films, but neither seemed to live up to expectations.  In the case of Benjamin Button, it was a great looking film that was entertaining to watch, but never really moved me emotionally as much as I think it was trying to.  Whatever overriding message they were trying to convey was lost on me. 

What I'm looking forward to in 2009:
  1. Watchmen - I watched a Japanese trailer on the internet recently, and was even more stoked.  Let's just hope 20th Century Fox doesn't muck it up and keep this from being released.
  2. Star Trek - I'm so ready to come back to the Star Trek universe.
  3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - This will either be really good or really bad.  
  4. Terminator Salvation - I'm usually not a big fan of these franchise sequels that I feel have run too long (I thought they should have stopped at Terminator 2), but truth be told, I think I sort of have a man-crush on Christian Bale.  Actually, I think my wife has a crush on the guy, too--is that weird?
  5. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Giant f@$&'in robots!
  6. Nottingham - Ridley Scott, Russell Crowe, Robin Hood.  'Nuff said.
  7. Public Enemies - Michael Mann, Christian Bale, Johnny Depp, John Dillinger.  'Nuff said, part 2.  Can anyone think of a Michael Mann movie that wasn't good?
So what do you think? Agree? Disagree?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would have to put Slumdog Millionaire at the top, and I would have Ironman above the Dark Knight. Maybe it is becuase the Dark Knight was so hyped, but I didn't seem to like it as much as everyone else. I still think Batman Begins was a better movie.

Twilight was a good surprise. I was really entertained by the story line, and the potential future storylines as well. For some reason vampires are only as cool as there enemies which in this case looks to be warewolves. Maybe that is why I have enjoyed the Underworld movies and I am looking forward to the next installment of that one.

I am in agreement with you on all three disappointments, but I am not sure Indiana Jones makes it into the "biggest" category. I still enjoyed it because it made me feel like a kid again, and it has put some cool figurines in the toy stores. Benjamin Button was a miss hit of combining the Titanic and Forrest Gump.

I was surprised to see Wall-E that high in your list. While I do think it is a good movie (I own it on BluRay), I think Kung Fu Panda was better.

There Will Be Blood was a well acted movie. Daniel Day Lewis and his Milkshake line are worth it for the line and the acting, but I had trouble enjying it. I felt like it was too slow.

I end up looking forward to the same movies that you do primarily because they get so much attention here, but I will say that Star Trek tops the list for me.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask about the movie "Burn After Reading." Did anyone see this movie?

Swany said...

I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda, but I didn't think it broke any new ground as far as animated films go. Just another funny Jack Black flick to me.

As far as Burn After Reading, it was a funny movie that's worth renting. If you figure out what George Clooney's character is building in his workshop before the big reveal, well, then I'll have a whole new perpective on you. I think George Clooney has great comedic timing, and I think find Brad Pitt to be much more enjoyable in these types of roles with a more humorous angle to them (e.g. Ocean's 11-13, Mr. and Mrs. Smith) than when he's trying to do serious drama.

Dutch said...

I thought Batman was incredible, I liked Benjamin Button, and I didn't see the vampire movie.

Anonymous said...

Has the gauntlet been thrown Swany? I must go watch now.

Swany said...

Consider the gauntlet thrown. CHALLENGE!!

Just remember, it does take a bit of Kool-Aid Gang humor. Whether your wife will find it funny or not, well, I'm not sure I know her that well yet.