Sunday, November 2, 2008

I think watching Texas this year has taken at least a few years off my life expectancy...

(AP Photo/LM Otero)
Can you believe how close this game was? Crazy that you can chalk up the loss to every part of the Longhorns team. An ice cold start to the offense in the first half, bad special teams play on the last kick off, a horrible defensive effort on the last drive to lose the game--ugh. Maybe I don't give the Red Raiders enough credit, but I think Texas really had the skills to win this game and it's too bad they didn't bring their "A-game" to key parts of this.  

So the three way tie scenario in the Big 12 South is one step closer to reality. I've been worried that the conference was going to beat each other up to the point that no one from the Big 12 gets to the National Championship game. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but one could realistically predict OU beating Tech and winning over OSU, creating a tie between the Longhorns, Sooners, and Red Raiders. I'm not sure what the rules say about how you break this--anyone know?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fandango Here:

Lowsy game, lowsy finish. First #21 drops it after it hits him in the hands.
then #3 and 12 are too busy trying to do whatever they were doing, instead of wrapping up and tackling.
There are still several weeks to determine things, but this was depressing to say the least.

Dutch said...

I just watched the Texans lose their three game win streak to the Vikings. They damn near almost tied Minnesota with like two minutes on the clock, but just couldn't move the ball forward.

I think I next time I need to get a bucket of KFC for Jobu.

Swany said...

Yeah, Earl Thomas seemed to be coming over to help, but looked like he merely just watched the ball go straight to Crabtree instead of moving in to help tackle--what kind of angle was he taking?! It's hard to blame the loss entirely on Brown, Thomas, and Gideon--they're only freshmen. I was actually not so disappointed with the defense overall. Sure, they gave up some Tecmo Bowl-like yardage, but you have to give them credit for keeping Tech out of the end zone for most of the second half. I'm feeling a bit more critical of special teams who shouldn't have let them have such nice field position on Tech's last drive in the first place. And take away just one of the flubs by the offense (the safety on the first play, Colt McCoy's interception) and who knows what the result might have been.

As far as your new interest in Texans football, Firecracker George, welcome to the torture that is watching your team lose. You'll need to get used to it, 'cause Houston sucks. ;-) Well, I shouldn't talk. The Dallas Cowboys got trounced today. Maybe we both should have presented offerings to Jobu this weekend.

Dutch said...

Well, the Texans barely lost I think. They were really close to tieing for overtime, and it wasn't that Houston flubbed it; the Vikings were just determined to keep the lead. It was an exciting last couple of minutes.

Dallas on the other hand had their asses handed to them. You may need to offer the entire buffet table next week.

Anonymous said...

Up you butt Jobu!

Dutch said...

Oh, and as for the original topic, since my brother and sister-in-law both went to tech, the atmosphere in my circle is a little different.