Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Change is good...


As I celebrate with the rest of the country on this night, I'm struck by the fact that the truly historic nature of tonight still hasn't hit me.  Although I was born and raised in the United States, I've still grown up as a minority in this country and in some subtle ways have had to deal with the hurdles that entails.  Now, my struggles are in some respects pretty minor compared to other minority groups (and even some in my own minority group).  I haven't had to deal with too much blatant racism, low expectations, or hidden mistrust based solely on the color of my skin.  Still, there have always been subtle reminders growing up that I'm not white.  My entire life, I've tried to shrug off such things.  Much of this is a result of the environment I grew up in, essentially separated from minority groups of my own kind.  Perhaps some of it, too, was my defense mechanism to try and fit in.  But I like to believe that some of it was my way of trying to prove something I've always believed--we're all equal Americans in this country, and the minute I start making categories for anybody is the minute I've become a racist myself.  

I've prided myself in the thought that I had the potential to achieve anything my own intellectual and physical abilities were capable of, and I tried not to see my race as a barrier to my potential.  Yet reminders of the state of this country and the ignorance that still exists becomes more apparent to me day by day.  But as we celebrate the election of our 44th President of the United States, I again see hope that what I grew up believing is truly achievable.  And I'm proud of the fact that perhaps the majority of people that voted for our next President didn't support him to make some sort of statement about race.  They did it because they were truly moved by his words, ideals, judgement, and leadership.  

Thank you, Barack Obama, for reaffirming my belief in the American dream.  You've truly inspired all of us to believe that "Yes we can."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!

Wander said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wander said...

I've made clear my support of the man for sometime. I'm proud of America and feel this is most likely the largest step we've taken as a country since the abolition of slavery. There is no doubt that racism will continue, but at least we know we are heading in the right direction. As for the Obama campaign, I think that showing Republicans you can win on a platform of hope, and not fear as they have run on for the last 8 years, is what Americans respond to. I knew so many people that heard so many of the lies and half truths that were started and spread about Obama. He reuses to provide a valid brth certificate. he is muslim, he is a terrorist, he has never held a public office. I refuted so many of these to coworkers and aquaintances urging them to do thier own research into Obama's past, and each time seeing the person realize what a fine man he really was when they searched into him themseleves. Seeing them awaken to their own ideas and beliefs and not simply listening to the hate filled retoric is one of my proudest moments now. I believe, after last night, that Americans are basically good and will know a good man when they see one. And they will refuse to vote for a woman for a major office, because that would just be crazy.

Kidding on that last part.

Dutch said...

I listened to both McCain's and Obama's speeches last night. I certainly liked McCain's speech not only for the obligatory graciousness (which I believe was genuine), but also that he reaffirmed his positions without being catty. He seemed like his old self that I usually didn't agree with, but respected for his lack of guile.

When I watched Obama's speech, I realized that unlike any other president I can remember, I like hearing him speak. And it's not just that he is a great orator, but that he truly appears to believe what he is saying.

This is big deal not simply because we've voted in the first non-white, but because as you've all said the people took responsibility for the country. That may be the greatest thing George W. Bush ever did for this country: he was such a shitty president that everyone made sure to not continue his legacy.

As for my hope for President Obama, it's not just that his policies align with mine, or even that he is such a great speaker. It's also that he appears to be a man of integrity in all aspects of his life. Clinton was plagued by his past (and current) infidelities. He could have done so much more if he had kept in his wife (or pants) and not given so much juicy ammo for the AM talk radio illiterati.

Anonymous said...

"people took responsibility for the country" ...

I actually believe that the results of the election show the exact opposite. I think that the vote is for overwhelming thought that the country should take responsibility for the people.

Dutch said...

I dig what your saying in terms of democratic aid programs, but I think the sentiment was simply that people took resonsibility for who attained office.