Thursday, July 30, 2009

Forever 1986



So I keep telling these early 20 somethings at work that they are the forgotten generation. It really seems to me that almost every movie, game, toy, or book being created right now is a throw back to our glorious childhoods. Amazing new Star Wars stuff constantly? Check. TMNT alive and well? Check. Robotech huge? check. Battletech? Check. Transformers and G.I. Joe the biggest things in the world? Check. What's missing? Hey, Firecracker remember when my cousin Dick snuck us into that one films last showing opening day that scared the hell out of us and pretty much sealed itself as one of our favorite films ever? No, not Labyrinth. How about 3 new games coming out all related to that film reimagining the ending or recreating the story? No kidding, a Colonial Marines game, a new ALiens v. Predator, and and an Alien vrpg all coming in the next year, all claiming to be based on the Alien franchise in the 80's when it was good. Wasn't everything better in the 80's?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right about them being the lost generation. I don't know that I care too much either though. I enjoy all this stuff that goes back into the past. And this game... looks pretty awesome. I would play the game just so when I finished it I could say, "Game over, man. Game over. What are we supposed to do now man?"

Swany said...

Part of this, I think, is technology catching up with the grand ideas of the 80's. You just couldn't make some of these things back in a realistic-looking way. Also, most of the people in charge of things at the movie studios or gaming companies are probably are age or a bit older now, and likely influence what is in the pipeline. I'm hoping this isn't a sign that we are running out of imaginative and novel ideas, though. Even Ghostbusters is making a comeback. It was a funny movie and all, but really, Ghostbusters?