Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The King Returns



After nearly 10 years, Microsoft will annonce this week the return of the Mechwarrior series. Piranha Games, a newly formed company owned by Jordan Weisman the original creator of the Battletech games, has been working on it for some time for licensee owner Microsoft. The viral videos released the last few weeks are insanely beautiful. The Mechwarrior: Living Legends Battletech mod for the Crysis engine that I had been posting about over the last few years had been on hiatus while Microsoft decided if it would sue the guys working on it or not. Last week they dropped all lawsuits and gave the thumbs up to continue. Apperently, Microsoft is planning a big comeback for Mechwarrior games in the coming year. Mechwarrior has remained the number one most asked for returning game series among gamers the last 7 years, and the entire Mechwarrior series is only overshadowed by Halo for game sells among licenses owned by Microsoft to this date. I know I'm ready. And with Microsoft's Project: Natal just around the corner, the possibilities seem endless for fully interactive Mech games.

2 comments:

Dutch said...

A foot? All we get is a foot?

That Natal thing looks completely awesome. I've fantasized about a martial arts game exactly like what they showed.

Usually when I was getting owned by someone in Tekken or the like; I'd think, "if this used real moves instead of joysticks and buttons..."

Swany said...

So Wander, you're saying I should have gotten an Xbox instead of that Wii. Damn. Picked the wrong gaming console yet again.

I saw a demonstration of Project: Natal on the Jimmy Fallon show the other night. Cool stuff. Anything that can make me even more lazy, since now I don't even have to get up to find the remote.