Monday, August 11, 2008

At first I thought ...

That I must have been living in a hole as I was reading the news today. I watched Amazon's stock make a strong advance and didn't know why. The news made it clear though. The company doubled its sales of the Kindle. Hmmm?!?

If you are like me, your thought is probably along the lines of, "What the hell is a Kindle?" So I did a little exploring and found out. I am sure that my tech savvy friends like Swany learned about this ages ago on some site like Gizmodo or something, but it was news to me. The easiest way I have heard it explained is that the Kindle is to books like the iPod is to music. It really is a pretty cool device, but a little steep in terms of cost.

2 comments:

Swany said...

Yup, I did know about it awhile back, but I actually predicted it was going to flop. I'm glad it's getting some traction. I've never seen an actual physical Kindle to play with, but I have seen Sony's version of the digital book called the Reader. The eInk technology is really spectacular, and makes reading e-books something I'd actually enjoy doing (if I actually read enough to justify the cost). I imagine voracious readers like Wander who probably hauls a bagful of books on vacation trips would get some better use out of such a device.

Wander said...

I actually aquire many of my books in e-form now and transfer them to my Sony PSP to read both at home and on vacation. Nice to see Swany knows me so well.