Sunday, October 18, 2009

In response to Firecracker George's "Best Concert I've Ever Been To" post...


Being close enough to almost feel like you could touch Bono? Eh. Overrated. My seats at Cowboys Stadium were so much better than what Firecracker George managed to get, or even Wild Willie, for that matter. Not only did I not have to be bothered by the sight of all of U2's aging wrinkles and the smells of their body odor, I had the wonderful opportunity to stare at the colossal behemoth that was the unused black expanse of the Jerry Vision TV that was so much more spectacular than U2's puny little stage (you can see a bit of the TV in the upper right hand corner of the picture above).

And the acoustics of Cowboys Stadium? Outstanding! It was like listening to gunfire in an oil barrel. How could you not want that? And if you don't believe me about the sound, take a gander to the video below. No, that's not some fancy audio editing--that's how awesome the concert really sounded from my seats!



Seriously, though, if you're ever tempted to buy tickets to anything other than football at Jerry World, let me give you some advice--don't. The concert literally did sound like that (Muse's opening set sounded almost unrecognizable), and the ginormous video screen that had to be specially raised to accommodate U2's stage was a huge distraction. I almost thought the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey was floating above the whole time (which I guess could have fit with U2's space cowboy theme). It didn't help that I found out general admission tickets on the floor were almost a third what I paid for my nosebleed seats. I guess I got the benefit of cup holders to put down my $8.00 bottle of beer. Luckily, U2 is the greatest band on Earth and they put on quite a show. Lemon and I left happy--that's just how good they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't watch the video because it says I need special permission. I am sorry that you didn't get the same experience Firecracker George and I had. When we saw them in '92 from the third mezzanine of the Astrodome (with an obstructed view), I swore I would see them again and it would be from the very front. I am glad I achieved it. I hope you and Lemon get the opportunity to do the same.

Swany said...

Sorry, I fixed the video restriction. Feel free to watch now.

The good thing about being up in the nosebleeds was being able to take in the whole stage, which I'm guessing you couldn't appreciate as much being up front. Then again, I came to see U2, not their elaborate toys.

Looks like U2 plays Europe in 2010. Perhaps I need to plan a European vacation next year.

Dutch said...

The last time I saw Sting I was that far away. I watched him on the jumbotron, thinking, "shit I can watch him on TV from home."

Yeah, up front is the way to go. And although I saw their wrinkles, I couldn't smell their body odor. Not much could compete with the b.o. of the people around me, and the occasional smell of the herb superb.